Kaudi- Sea shell soup by Kajal Pradhan LambaDecember 1, 2011
For Kaudis :
Maida – 2 cups
Meetha Soda- about 2 pinch
Water – as required
For Chicken & Vegetable Broth :
Chicken – about ½ kg and some giblets
Mix Vegetables – cut into medium size about 4 cups
(carrots, cauliflower, beans & peas)
Onion – 1 large quartered and separated
Tomato – 1 large cut in medium size
Ginger – 2 “ crushed
Soy Sauce – 1 Tbs ( can be adjusted as per taste and color)
Salt to Taste
For Spicy Tomato Chutney :
Tomatoes – 2 large
Chillies – preferably red – as per the heat you can tolerate
( I use our local Dalle – round red chillies)
Garlic – 3-4 small pods
Salt – to taste
Chopped Coriander leaf
- 1. In a pressure cooker ( I used a 3 ltr cooker) add a little oil, sauté the quartered onion for 2 minutes, add the crushed ginger and the chicken. Fry for 4-5 minutes and add little salt and water ( atleast half the cooker).Bring to whistle in high heat, lower heat cook it for another 2-3 whistles.
- 2. Sift the flour with mitha soda/bakin powder. Knead a tough dough using water and let it rest for sometime.
- 3. To make the “Kaudis” just take pea sized dough , using your index finger roll it in the palm of your other hand and then press hard in between. It kind of sticks to your palm, and then lightly roll it off your palm.
- Note: When doing this make sure to keep dusting the kaudis with dry flour so that they do not stick to each other.
- In a large pot add a little oil and sauté the vegetables for 3-4 minutes. Now add the chicken broth to it and bring to boil.
- Once it starts boiling add the kaudis and soya sauce and simmer away for atleast 15 minutes or till the kaudis are cooked. If the soup is too thick add some broth or water but usually this soup has a thick consistency because of the maida.Adjust seasoning as per taste.
- For the chutney. Boil the tomatoes. Once cooked remove the skin and let it cool. Put in a mixer along with chillies, garlic and salt and make a paste.
- Now serve the Kaudis garnished with chopped onions, coriander and spicy chutney.
PS: You can add vinegar and soy sauce as per your liking