purse cakeNovember 15, 2011
Fried Eye says- Nothing can be as enticing as cakes for the children as well as the child in us. Papori Trehan Talukdar shares one of her fabulous recipe of cake with us as a special children day’s treat
For me baking a cake is just not enough. I have always liked to design my cakes to make “cake-eating” an interesting affair. This particular purse cake was made for the 3 year old daughter of a friend of mine. Designing cakes, apart from being visually appealing also gives me great creative satisfaction.
Enjoy my cake-art!!!
For the chocolate cake
260 gm plain flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
140 gm butter
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
260 gm castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 small cup milk
For the filling
225 plain chocolate
¼ tsp salt
175 ml cream
For the design
Fondant (you can get food quality fondant in any gourmet store)
Edible Silver balls
To make the cake…
- Pre-heat oven at 170 degree centigrade and line a circular cake tin and keep aside. Put a butter paper at the bottom of the tin and line it too.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and sieve the mixture twice and keep aside.
- Take butter in a large bowl and whip with an electric beater. Whip till the butter is soft and turns pale yellow in color.
- Add sugar little by little while whipping the mixture continuously.
- Now whip one egg at a time into the mixture.
- Add the milk and vanilla essence to the mixture and mix.
- Fold in the flour mixture into this with a wooden spatula and pour into the round baking tin.
- Put into the pre-heated oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Once done take out the cake and let it cool
To make the filling…
- Break the chocolate into small pieces.
- Take a pan with some water and put it on the gas stove. Now put a large borosil bowl on top of the pan with boiling water. Make sure the bowl does not touch the water.
- Pour the chocolate into the bowl and stir constantly. When the chocolate melts, add the cream and salt and mix well. Remove from fire and let it cool. Refrigerate for an hour or so.
Assembling and Designing the purse cake…
- Dust your work surface with sifted powdered sugar, and place fondant on that. Press it out flat. For coloring, make slits in the fondant and drop the coloring (colour of your choice) into those slits. Knead well and keep aside.
- Now cut the cake into two equal halves ( semi circles)
- Apply filling on one side of one semicircle piece of cake and put the other piece on top.
- Now stand the cake on its plain side on to the cake serving tray.
- Apply a thin layer of filling mixture all over the cake and refrigerate for about an hour.
- After the cake has set apply some more filling mixture on all sides of the cake.
- Take out the kneaded coloured fondant and roll it out with a rolling pin.
- Carefully lift the rolled sheet and put it on the cake. Cover the cake completely and cut off the extra bits.
- With a tooth-pick make criss-cross marks to give a stitched look. Design the cake with silver balls.
- Roll a small cylinder with the fondant to make the handle of the cake.
- Put the handle on top and make other accessories of your choice with fondant to complete the cake.
Note: For a nice and smooth cake always remember that all ingredients used should be of room temperature.
– By Papori Talukdar Trehan