1. 4 fully matured Indian Gooseberries ( amlokhi)
2. 200 gms of Rohu fish pieces
3. 1 small sized red onion
4. 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds
5. 1/2 tsp of fennel seeds
6. 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
7. 1 tsp of coriander powder
8. 1 tsp of turmeric power
9. 3 green chilies
10. 5 cloves of garlic
11. 1/2″ of ginger
12. Salt to taste
13. Mustard oil
1. Wash and clean the rohu fish pieces. Take a kitchen paper to wipe away the extra water from the fish pieces.
2. Marinate the fishes in a pinch of turmeric powder and pinch of salt. Keep for half an hour
3. Prepare the spices: finely chop the onions, make garlic ginger paste, slit the chilies into two halves.
4. Grate the gooseberries and keep aside
5. Heat mustard oil in a wok, deep fry the marinated fish pieces tight brown. Keep aside when done
6. In the same oil, fry fenugreek seeds, throw the slitted green chilies, stir till the seeds are brown. Add the onions and fry till golden. ( do not burn them). Add the garlic ginger paste and fry.
7. Add the grated gooseberries and fry. Add turmeric, salt, coriander powder and stir well. Meanwhile powder the fennel and cumin coarsely and add to the mix. Fry by stirring well for 5 mins in medium flame. Cover the wok for 2 mins and keep in low flame.
8. Add 2 cups of warm water . Stir slowly till the spice mix is infused. Stir and cover. Bring it to boil.
9. Add the fried fish pieces. Stir and cover. Keep in low flame till the fish pieces are infused with aroma.
Have with rice only!